In five years, we have directly engaged or trained 5,000 professionals and community leaders, including 750 city officials and over 100 mayors. Providing methodologies that can be replicated and tailored by our local partners, we reach many more each year.
What we do
We partner with city officials to establish local risk assessments and design action plans and programmatic responses. From de-radicalisation programming to youth engagement strategies, we ensure that local responses address local needs.
Working from the ground up, we establish local coordination bodies that unite city halls, civil society educators, public health bodies, the private sector and faith leaders to identify and address community tensions. We base our success on harnessing existing and credible institutions, from social services to traditional civic infrastructure.
We galvanise mayors, city officials, local services, communities and youth, training them to play active roles in diagnosing and responding to local risk factors, creating an international repository of best practice approaches.
We help members access the latest research and best practice from across the network through our SCN Online Hub, which features stories, interviews, guides and training modules for teachers, city officials and civil society. Our SCN Hate and Extremism Mapper provides members with data, building digital observatories that correlate online risks with offline behaviour.
We act as a bridge, creating stronger working relationships between local and national governments. We also provide civil society with the knowledge, skills and resources to foster meaningful partnerships with officials in city halls.
- Extremism in Bangladesh: The Role of Cities in Developing a Long Term Plan of Action for P/CVE Efforts
- Dutch Safety Houses Study Tour: Strong Cities Network MENA office travel to the Netherlands with Jordanian and Lebanese member of the Network
- Preventing Violent Extremism Through Chess
- SCN South Asia Summit: Supporting City-Led Efforts to Prevent and Counter Violent Extremism
- Young Cities North Macedonia Showcase Expo