The Strong Cities Network received a resounding endorsement from US Secretary of State John Kerry, as he addressed a delegation of SCN members participating in the International Visitor Leadership Program in Washington DC. Secretary Kerry spoke passionately on the need to tackle the drivers of extremism from the community level and praised the work of theStrong Cities Network.
What we do
We partner with city officials to establish local risk assessments and design action plans and programmatic responses. From de-radicalisation programming to youth engagement strategies, we ensure that local responses address local needs.
Working from the ground up, we establish local coordination bodies that unite city halls, civil society educators, public health bodies, the private sector and faith leaders to identify and address community tensions. We base our success on harnessing existing and credible institutions, from social services to traditional civic infrastructure.
We galvanise mayors, city officials, local services, communities and youth, training them to play active roles in diagnosing and responding to local risk factors, creating an international repository of best practice approaches.
We help members access the latest research and best practice from across the network through our SCN Online Hub, which features stories, interviews, guides and training modules for teachers, city officials and civil society. Our SCN Hate and Extremism Mapper provides members with data, building digital observatories that correlate online risks with offline behaviour.
We act as a bridge, creating stronger working relationships between local and national governments. We also provide civil society with the knowledge, skills and resources to foster meaningful partnerships with officials in city halls.
- Strong Cities at Stockholm EU Presidency Conference on Preventing Violent Extremism and Terrorism – Challenges and Responses
- Policy Paper | Responding to Today’s Refugee Crisis While Maintaining Social Cohesion: Lessons from Cities
- Western Balkans Regional Hub Inaugural Workshop
- New Publication | Young Cities: Practical Guide to Youth Capacity Building for Countering Hate and Extremism
- ESA Regional Hub Virtual Roundtable with Cities and Stakeholders in Tanzania